Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Adventures with PodMatch

This fall, I decided to try podcasting. I've listened to podcasts for years, and as circumstances in my life allowed for more creativity, I branched out and started Join the Conversation with Denise Clark. What started as following my curiosity has grown into a passion project that fuels me and, I'm told, my listeners. 

I've coordinated three seasons now, each on a large, overarching topic: Teaching, Learning, & Surviving.  For the most part, I reached out to people I already knew, who I knew had stories worth sharing with others. Along the way, guests were recommended to me and my circle began to expand. 

Since November 2021, I've had nearly 1500 downloads of my show, and I've published 28 episodes. With season 3, I decided to take a leap of faith and publish two episodes a week, instead of just one. I've been able to keep pace, despite working full-time, raising my kids, and completing my dissertations. 

About three weeks ago, I received an email from a company called PodMatch, inviting me to try their service. Envision online dating, but for podcast hosts & guests.  I created a profile, uploading links to my show & answering questions about my vision for the podcast. Every few hours, I am sent potential guests matches to review. There is a potential to earn money for completing interviews, and there was a nominal monthly fee for me to join. My show has never been about making money, but if I can generate some income without losing the goal of my project, I figure -- why not?

Before I knew it, I had over a dozen new interviews booked with a variety of guests, from writers and speakers to activists and moms. Reflecting on my recent fascination with connection, I settled on the theme of connecting for Season 4 of my show. Here I am, connecting with people from all over the world, from all walks of life. My new season launches April 15, and my first episode is with a former male exotic dancer whose work now centers on men's mental health and authenticity. 

I'm still finishing up a few interviews for my season on surviving, and I'm finding myself booked for the next few weeks already. I'm learning how to navigate the scheduling app to balance my life a bit better, but overall, my adventure into PodMatch has been a positive experience. I'm excited to see what happens as my show grows and these conversations reach the ears of more and more people. 

This time of year is a bit of a mixed bag -- at school, the feeling is that of winding down, finishing the year. In nature, it's supposed to have the feeling of spring coming, starting fresh (but we are in Central PA and it was 17 last night...on March 29). In our personal life, we are selling a house and buying another one, so it's a combination of both finishing and starting. It seems only fitting that my podcast project would feel the same: ending the era of only interviewing people I know, starting a phase of connecting with new people. 

Stay tuned! I think you'll be as pleased with Season 4 as I am! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconsidering My Apple Watch

A few years ago, my husband gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas. What an awesome present, right? I'll admit, I had been on the fence fo...