Monday, January 3, 2022

Running into the New Year

You guys, I am such a sucker for fresh starts. I love the new school year, I love the new calendar year -- heck, I love the first day of a new month, that fresh desk calendar looking up at me with expectancy. I could not be more ready for 2022. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I loved the holiday season, despite the challenge of facing it without my mom. We had a relaxing time as a family, we charged our collective batteries, and we spent some time reflecting on the year.  

Perhaps it's a contradiction, but I am not a New Year's resolution kind of person. Honestly, I believe it's because I love new beginnings. I set goals each new month, each new week -- actually, now that I think about it, each new day. I've been reading James Clear's book Atomic Habits, and I'm planning on making huge poster of this quote of his  for my classroom:


When you really stop to think about it, wow. This is totally true. We think that life is accomplished in the big moments, but in reality, the big moments are the culmination of many, many small decisions we make. Clear recommends an emphasis on identity, rather than the significant milestones. For example, instead of saying, "I want to lose 50 pounds," you would say, "I am the kind of person who makes healthy choices." Instead of fixating on the end goal, decide who you want to be. The rest will follow. 

Over the past 2 years, I have struggled with some lower back and hip issues. I'll spare you the details (because let's be honest, they aren't that interesting to anyone else), and simply say these issues have significantly impacted my ability to exercise. I was once a runner. In 2013, I even ran a half marathon. I love long distance running, or at least, I used to. I came to the tough realization that my running days were coming to an end, as I went through physical therapy appointments, chiropractic adjustments, MRIs, and finally, steroid injections. 

Over our holiday break, though, something exciting (to me) happened. I felt pretty good while out for a walk and decided to try .25 mi running intervals. After about a week, those turned into .5 mile running intervals. Yesterday, I ran one mile without stopping. I have not overdone it, because I know what that will mean. I don't try to run every day. But, I am starting to feel like my identity as a runner is coming back to me. 

I don't have a goal in mind at the moment, though it would be fun to be able to run a 5K or two this year. Instead, I have an identity in mind. Will my body have another idea? Not sure. But for now, I'm running into the new year, one step at time. 

How will you cast your vote for the type of person you want to be today? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconsidering My Apple Watch

A few years ago, my husband gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas. What an awesome present, right? I'll admit, I had been on the fence fo...