Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Being Santa's Ghostwriter Can Be Tough

I told you I'd keep you posted, and I'm a woman of my word. Santa's mailbox has been quite popular! One day when Gene checked, the mailbox was overflowing with letters. Santa has written back to about 30 children so far. I confess, after seeing how many times people shared my initial post about the mailbox, I created a form letter and printed it on green paper. I then personalize the letters by adding a short note and the child's name. Santa's ghostwriter has a day job, after all.  



(Photo by our amazing mayor who shares his gift of photography with the community.) 

Most of the letters have been what you'd expect -- claims of being "very good this year" scrawled in childish handwriting that make me smile. Many children thank Santa for his hard work and kindness. Some ask questions like, "How old are you?" (Siri helped me with that one: "Older than the winds of time but younger than the spring.") and "How do the reindeer fly?" (My answer: "Great question! Have you seen the movie Elf? It's just like that -- the reindeer fly because they love people and believe in the magic of Christmas!")

I printed address labels and bought official Santa Mail seals for the envelopes. I think I'm getting as much out of this as the kids, to be honest. 


As I sat down this morning to go through the mail, I came across a letter that made me stop in my tracks: 

Santa's ghostwriter is also facing her first Christmas without her mother; her kids are facing their first Christmas without their grandmother. This sweet child didn't ask for anything else, by the way. I've shown their entire letter and have hidden their name, of course. 

Phew. Answering the age and reindeer questions was so much easier, and I couldn't rely on Siri for this one. Here's what I came up with: 


In case you can't read the photo, I simply expressed Santa's sympathy for this child's loss and said, "I can't bring him back from heaven, but I can tell you this: Heaven is even better than the North Pole! Your pappy will be watching you on Christmas morning. If you are quiet for a moment and really listen, you will feel him there with you." 

This is such a beautiful snapshot of life, isn't it? The joy mixed with the grief, the love mixed with the sadness. While this was a tough letter to answer, I can't help but think that Santa's words may bring this child some comfort. 

I know it's too early for Epiphany, but I just had one as I wrote that last sentence. We sing "Tidings of Comfort and Joy" because yes, the news of Christmas Day is Joyful, but also because the world needs the Comfort that news brings, too.  Every day, I see people who are broken down by trauma and harsh life circumstances, in desperate need of Comfort and Joy. 

We can't all put a mailbox on the front lawn and become Santa's ghostwriter, I know. But I think we can all look for ways to bring Comfort and Joy to everyone we encounter. That's the magic of Christmas, after all. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconsidering My Apple Watch

A few years ago, my husband gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas. What an awesome present, right? I'll admit, I had been on the fence fo...