Thursday, November 4, 2021

Should Parents Be in the "Driver's Seat" of Education? Musings About PA House Bill 1332

In PA, House Bill 1332 will require all public schools to publish their curricula online, for parents and other stakeholders to access. In his memo about House Bill 1332, Representative Andrew Lewis stated, "Across Pennsylvania there is currently no standardized, simple and user-friendly way for parents to review the curriculum that will be taught to their children for the upcoming school year. This leaves many parents frustrated and feeling out of the loop, not knowing the content of lesson plans and textbooks that will be provided to their children." I am inclined to agree with this . . . so far. 

Here's where I start to get nervous: "By empowering parents with this information before the school year starts, we can ensure that curriculum and lesson plans being taught in our public schools are in line with the educational objectives and wishes of parents. Parents across our communities will be able to easily review these materials and provide feedback to school district officials before the next school year starts" (emphasis in bold, mine). 

I am in full support of open communication and transparency of public institutions. Distrust of public entities in our country has been growing since the 50s, with no end in sight. Taxpayers deserve to know that their hard-earned money is being well-spent. I believe parents should be able to know what is being taught to their children in schools. I tend to keep on top of this by checking homework at age-appropriate levels, reading Google Classroom guardian notifications, emailing teachers -- and most important: talking with my children about school every single day. I know about their classes, their tests, their quizzes, their projects. Not because I'm hovering over them (or worse, doing the work for them), but because we have regular, engaging conversations about learning at our house. 

OK, I get it. I am in education, so maybe it's more of a focus at my house, but honestly -- why should you have to be in the field of education to care about learning? Learning is one of the most natural, instinctive things we do as human beings. Shouldn't it be of interest to us all? 

What makes me hesitate is the idea that "parents' wishes" will now be considered in public school curriculum. Enter political, religious, philosophical agendas. We have a separation of Church and State, for example, for a reason. If parents want their child to learn about their religion, there are parochial schools and churches  -- and homes -- for that purpose. 

I've attended School Board meetings where people have made wild claims like, "They don't even teach American history any more!" I sincerely hope that some curriculum transparency will help those people from leaping to conclusions. I've also heard of textbooks that represent horrific moments in history like the Trail of Tears as "the Native Americans relocated." We can't whitewash our history just because it's shameful. Being raw and honest about human greed and corruption is the only way to prevent it. Maybe curriculum transparency will allow community members to ensure equal representation. Or, maybe it will be paint in the whitewasher's bucket, inspiring outrage and demands for censorship. 

I suppose it all depends on if people pay attention.

Representative Lewis says, "This legislation is vital to ensure that parents across our communities remain in the driver’s seat when it comes to the education of their children." 

I have to be utterly honest here: I don't want to be in the driver's seat of my son's Trig & Pre-Calc class, or my daughter's Painting class, or my other son's STEM class. I trust the very capable drivers with advanced degrees in those content areas and in education. 

But here's the thing -- I trust these teachers because I've been in contact with them, I've been involved in school and our community. Teachers and principals are more accessible than ever before. I've received emails from teachers at 10 PM, as they work from home and respond to parents. My parents had to squeeze in time at work to call the school between 7 and 3.

I know that the teachers in my kids' schools are professionals. Of course they have political, religious, and philosophical opinions -- they are human beings, after all. But, because I've been paying attention all these years, I know that they separate their personal beliefs from their professional lives. I see them working hard to meet the myriad needs of students in their classes. To be sure, I understand this on a deeper level because I am an educator and even worked alongside many of the teachers who now have my kids in class. I also know I would still be involved, even if I weren't in education. Why? Because I am a parent. I am committed to raising these beautiful people I brought into the world, and that means being aware of all facets of their life, including school. 

Because I've been paying attention all along. 

I saw and shared a post made on Facebook by Steve Irwin, of ABC-15, this morning. I'll close with his words: 



"For anyone who thinks this is harsh, here's the larger point.

When politicians tell you, you don't have a say in your child's education, they're lying. You have all kinds of influence, and every right to know exactly what's happening in your school.

You have all kinds of ways to find out, including a few avenues outlined below. You can even sit in on your child's class, or volunteer in the classroom.

I hear from teachers all the time, who are frustrated because they can't get parents involved. Now they're being attacked, accused of teaching things they're not even teaching, or "indoctrinating" kids into some radical ideology.

Many of the people attacking them have never set foot in their classroom. Some of the people screaming at school board meetings don't even have kids in the district's schools.

This is about politics. And these days, political battles are won or lost in the suburbs. There's no better way to sway suburban voters, than playing to your protective parental instincts. You'd do anything to protect your kid, and politicians know it.

Here's the thing: you don't have to choose who to believe. You can find out for yourself. If you're not involved in your child's school, find a way. At the very least, start an email dialogue with your child's teacher, the school's principal, or your local school board member.

Keep an open mind, and I'm betting you'll get a good reception. The teachers I know would be happy to hear from you."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconsidering My Apple Watch

A few years ago, my husband gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas. What an awesome present, right? I'll admit, I had been on the fence fo...