Monday, December 20, 2021

To Harper's Parents: I Did the Best I Could!


As I worked through another stack of letters to Santa, I came across one from a child I'll call a girl named Harper for the sake of this story. Names changed to protect the not-so-innocent and all that. 

Harper is 7. She's been "very nice" this year, as you can see by the box she checked in the photo of her letter below. However, she must be getting bored with being nice and wants to change it up for 2022. She asked for only one thing: "A spy kit so I can spy on my parents."




OK, hold up. A few scenarios come to mind:

1. Harper is a fan of Spy Kids movies and Nancy Drew books. She's an aspiring CIA agent and has decided to start practicing her sleuthing skills at home before expanding to the neighborhood where she lives. 

2. Harper is one of those nosy kids who never lets her parents have 5 minutes to themselves and interrupts them at all hours of the day and night, if you catch my drift. 

3. Harper has noticed her parents being secretive over the past month and wants to get to the bottom of the shady behavior that seems to rear its ugly head every December. 

Whatever the case may be, Dear Harper's Parents, Santa's Ghostwriter did her best: 


"I know it can be hard to not know everything your parents are doing," Santa replied, "but Moms and Dads need time alone together. You'll understand when you are older, I promise!" 

I figure whether Harper is a future investigator or a future voyeur (really hoping for the former rather than the latter!), Santa's reply works. All joking aside, my guess is that scenario #3 is more likely, and hopefully Santa's letter buys Harper at least one more year of believing in the magic of Christmas. 

It's times like these that I wish I could meet these kids and their families. I'd love to know if any of my theories were right. Ah, well.  

Harper's parents -- Good luck. And maybe lock your bedroom door tonight. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconsidering My Apple Watch

A few years ago, my husband gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas. What an awesome present, right? I'll admit, I had been on the fence fo...